Friday, October 20, 2006

Blogtoberfest recap

Finally yesterday it happened. The long-awaited Blogtoberfest

I rushed into town early to meet up with a friend of mine who goes to Berklee. I was helping him with a performance class by singing on an acoustic version of Zakk Wylde's "Machine Gun Man". Zakk Wylde is Ozzy Osbourne's longtime guitar player. He released a few solo albums in the mid 90's that were grossly underrated. Here's a quick version we threw together late last Friday

That was over by 5:20 and I hopped on the Admiral and rode a few blocks over to Match to meet up with Jenny. We ordered a couple drinks and the fellow blog nerds started shuffling in.

Ulli was the first to show up. She was very fun to talk to. It was great to hear about different areas of the country through the eyes of a young European professional. Any German exchange students looking to carve a journalism career out in the states... stay away from Waco, Texas.

The next person I hit it off with was Caity. She was a highschool friend of Jenny's it turns out was in my kindergarten class back in... 1984? 1985? Either way it was nice to see she aged so well. I knew even then she was going to turn out hot.

Joe was a funny bastard. Kept talking about how sexy Jenny's picture on the Admiral looked. So I told him that before the night was done we had to get him on the bike for a couple shots. The man oozes sex appeal. It's just who he is. Here look.

I met the beautiful Karen, one half of the famed Rumor Girls, and Frank the producer of the show. I ended up walking past and overheard something about nipple rings. So instead of introducing myself like a normal person I just hiked up my blouse and showed them my pierced nerp. I also explained why there's only one now. Another story for another day. I briefly confessed my desire to be listed as a Rumor Girl crush on their past show leading up to Blogtoberfest. You can't ask for these things. You either got it or you don't.

Jon from the Bostonist had some sweet insight for the ongoing Bike Gang naming saga. I explained about the time Skip and I both wore khakis, black socks and white Italian slip on shoes while riding the bikes to a show we were playing one Saturday night. "How about Labor Day....Labor Day Saints" Perfect.


Everyone I met was fun to hang out with. I wasn't like my usual self at social gatherings, a condition I like to call "fat kid at a prom syndrome". Sitting in the corner watching everyone converge in the middle of the room, laughing and having a good time, getting excited whenever a girl saunters over.... only to have her tell you that she needs her jacket... and you're sitting on it.

The night was a hit I must say. Jenny's got a way with event planning and putting together a helluva time.

Only one this was regrettable about yesterday. Jakprints screwed up my order for my business cards and didn't send them next day like I paid for. There were quite a few people at Blogtoberfest who seemed interested in my online portfolio and I had nothing to hand them. So if you remembered to check out this humble blog, let me take this time to direct you to my portfolio...

www.hookermedia.com

Hope you enjoy. Feel free to drop me a line.

Until the next nerdfest...keep in touch.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shanna MK said...

Thanks for the ride around the block! I loved it.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

glad to have been your first.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Nerdfest it was! Good Times! I will stay away from Waco, believe me.

Uhm, I think we'd all like to hear the "why is there only one nipple ring story"...

Give it up.

5:52 PM  
Blogger To Be Announced said...

I meant to ask you if you use the butter-making skills we learned back then? A few more martinis and I would have made you sing Do Your Ears Hang Low and This Land is Your Land with me, just for old times sake.

5:52 PM  
Blogger e$ said...

seconds on the why one ring story. Inquiring minds want to know!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Joe C said...

To quote another, much more famous Joe,

"What do you mean I'm funny?"

"what do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?"

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

"No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!"

"I wonder about you sometimes, [Hooker]. You may fold under questioning. "

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great when the blogging community in your city decides to meet? We've been having our own monthly blogger Happy Hours down here in Baltimore. Lately, they have kind of died down a little.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't rate a mention, huh? Fine - we're NOT going to a dive bar and doing car bombs then! J/K, Hooker. ;)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home