Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lockjaw

Last year in July when I finally had my wisdom teeth out it put an end to the series of infections they caused in the six or so months prior.

It'd start with a distant soreness at my jaw hinge. Usually only on one side. Then it'd bloom into full on pain that hindered me from opening my teeth wide enough to slip a Pringle in between. Eating was barely doable.

After getting antibiotics a few times and repeating the cycle, pain... pills. ... pain... pills... I finally had them yanked.

I went to the office listed by my insurance closest to my work downtown. Watkin Osorio. A buddy of mine had a root canal there. Said they were great.

Nearly everyone I've talked to had cute little stories of getting knocked out and waking up laughing with four fresh sockets in their gums. Everyone got knocked out. No one had horror stories.

The oral surgeon did not knock me out. I was awake for the entire ordeal. Him cracking my impacted teeth out. Drilling when I can feel it. Me feeling it because novocaine has little effect on me for whatever reason. The ropey black blood coating my tongue and sliding down my throat along with tooth dust and chips, causing me to gag. At points I'd sit up and tears would roll from down my temples into my ears, the surgeon and his assistant backing off me like I was Frankenstein's monster about to mutiny. I'd whimper a muffled "FFFFrrrrk" and they'd talk me back down, shoot a needle in my cheek again and get back to cracking.

After that I walked out into the reception area, mute with a mouth of bloody gauze, where they immediately hit me up for $300 from my debit card.

Then I wandered outside and texted my friend Sarah to pick me up. She came by and helped me back home where I drank whiskey because the weak pills they gave me caused me to itch all over, but didn't kill pain.

So that was in July 2005.

For the past week I've had a growing feeling in my left jaw hinge that feels just like the pre-extraction infection.

Today I hit up the doctor (NOT DENTIST) to see what the problem is.

Wish me luck. Hopefully the bolts in my neck aren't causing the infection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home