Friday, September 01, 2006

Frank Smith

Got out of work and rode over to TT's in Cambridge last night to see the band Frank Smith.

Frank Smith is not a dude. It's just a band name. No one in the band has either name in their name. They are sort of country-ish. The band is made up of some of the best musicians I know, and all are in different bands as well as Frank Smith. Those bands being Lot Six, Eyes Like Knives, Beat Awfuls and others I'm forgetting. There are too many to name. I once described them as the country version of Wu-Tang.

I played lap steel on their last album. I was supposed to be in the band, but never really took the time to get really good at the lap steel. They have since gotten a pedal steel player and he is incredible. Very cool.

They did a couple covers, the Stooges "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and Springsteen's "I'm on Fire"

They jokingly dedicated the latter to me. When it came time for the line "At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet And a freight train running through the Middle of my head" Aaron, their singer, forgot the line and they just looped the verse, staring at eachother giggling... Aaron mumbled something about a bed and then shook his head and backed off the microphone. The crowd started chuckling.

I jumped up to sing the line and blurted "sometimes I wake up in the middle of the bed w... AW FUCK!!"

The whole room was laughing. It was funny as hell.

They seem to play between Boston and NYC every other day. Keep an eye out for them. They are a great great band, and that's coming from a guy who hates bands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home