Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Balmy

Supposed to be in the 40's today. I may not need a jacket.

I've been having dreams of the motorcycle lately. Those vivid dreams where you feel motion and centrifugal force and you wake up confused and disappointed. Every surface is covered in salty footprints. The inside of the train cars. Every foyer and lobby. I was driving around with my friend Frank in his ancient dying Cadillac.

The Caddy has no heat and one night we were laughing about how funny it was to have a Cadillac with an affliction as crappy as a broken heater. We were driving to get some food some night where it was a high of 20. I told him "You know though, it makes me miss the summer more." Frank cut me off "you gotta earn the summer right? That's bullshit. A buddy of mine used to say that. Then he moved to Santa Monica. He called me in February last year and said 'Frank remember how I told you all those years that plowing and shoveling and freezing made us appreciate the summer more? I was wrong. I was this weather all year round. I'm an idiot and I was wrong'."

I still think balance is good. I'll be having these dreams until hopefully April or May. When I get the bike out of the garage I'm heading somewhere far with no plans of telling anyone until maybe after I get back. Maybe I'll have earned it by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home