Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Birthday wishes from Dad

I talked to my old man in Colorado about a week before my birthday, which was this past 9/11. I mentioned my brother and I going to NYC for my birhday weekend and the old man replied "Ahhhh shit. That's right. Your birthday is coming up."

We chatted for a little while longer and he ended the call with "If I talk to you I'll talk to you. Have a good birthday."

I talked to him again yesterday and he asked if the package had arrived. He said he sent it on my birthday. I hadn't seen any packages around the house so he called the P.O. to see if there was a problem.

I guess they tried to deliver it but no one was home so it was waiting for me to pick it up.

The clerk handed me an oblong box and I walked out to open it since I had to stuff whatever was inside into my backpack since I was on the motorcycle.

While I was sitting on the bike outside tearing open the box this dude who's voice sounded like Johnny Most with a cold goes "ONLY GOT A FEW DAYS OF RIDIN' LEFT EH?"

I glanced up and said "I'm gonna ride this thing until they start salting and sanding the roads, man"

Then he backed up a bit and slowly stood on one foot, squatted slightly and pushed one fist towards me with an enthusiastic "That's what I like to hear!"

So back to the mystery box from my dad.

I tore it open and inside there was:

1 (one) long sleeve black shirt with a rattlesnake on the front

1 (one) egg of Silly Putty

1 (one) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle "Raphael" action figure

1 (one) card that read "happy birthday, tiger"


All in all I'd say the old man did well. I have no idea what he was thinking, but I rarely ever do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Your Dad rules.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the old man remembered everything you loved when you were 11.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great present. Happy belated Birthday, Hooker!

Oh, and the lead singer from The Sharking was in People's visiting Patrick the other night. Patrick texted me to let me know. He says he knows you too?

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SKIP!

<3

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home