Thursday, September 07, 2006

Satan, Lucifer, Old Black Scratch, Television

Pick a name. Any name.

Before I moved to my current place, the sprawling Edwards compound, I lived in Allston with a few friends. It was towards the end of my stay in Allston that I really got serious about my anti-TV stance.

It started early. I'd watch Dr. Who and WKRP with my dad in the early 80's. Then cartoons took over. Then Night Court happened.

I've always been a pretty big fan of TV. I have tons of useless TV knowledge taking up space in my memory banks. I know characters, actors, episode minutia, producers, blah blah.

In Allston I was completely turned off to TV. For a while we had every channel available through comcast. The bill was crazy. Everything. And Tivo. The mighty Tivo. If I wanted, I could watch something different on TV every single hour that I wasn't at work.

To some people that sounds great. To me it sounds like hell.

I think it's probably because I sit in front of a computer for a third of my day. I can't justify rushing home just to plorp down in front of another screen. Silently gawking at moving lights like an ape.

I had a good run for a while. A good run where I could honestly say "I don't remember the last time I watched TV"

But all that changes when your roomates buy DVD sets of entire seasons of shows.

Deadwood. Damn you. I watched the entire second season.

LOST. Please god no. Enough. Last night I stayed up after my roomates went to bed and watched another full episode by myself.

I need to purge myself of my TV sins.

I need to get a plaque to hang above the TV that reads: Sitting on the couch watching TV is no way to spend time if you're constantly bitching about where you're at in life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to go be creepy and watch people tango at 7:30 tonight and then get loaded?

Now THAT'S a good way to spend an evening.

Have fun on your trip and don't let your bro eff it up.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home