Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Jenny's painting

So as promised, I'm putting up a picture of the final product of Jenny's painting. I put it to bed in four installments.

A red wash covering the canvas uniformly. This was easy enough. Get a big ol' brush and slap red paint on.

Getting the outlines of the bridge sketched with pencil and then darkened in with black paint. This was the most fun because the canvas was transformed from a red rectangle to a semi detailed picture of the Longfellow bridge. I also did this work in the Saloon, so that helped the fun factor. Standing there pacing around in the 800 sq feet around the canvas, slugging white wine from the bottle, smoke and wine in one hand, four brushes sticking out of the other fist. With enough room I pace around a canvas like an angry cop around an unfortunate interrogation victim.

Then the sky was put on, which I had picture of in a previous entry. This was great because instead of doing sky, then clouds over it like I've done for years, I did clouds and then put in patches of sky in between. This is probably my favorite sky painting I've done to date and it was done the quickest. I think that plays a part in my choice.

Then I went back in on Friday night and did the rest of the details. The buildings, the little bits and pieces, last minute shading.

After tweaking a few more times and making some bad choices (splattered white paint under the apple in the shape of a heart) I undid the tweaks and put this painting to bed before I really screwed it up.

It was one of the better experiences I've had while painting. I enjoyed making it and I really enjoy the outcome. I hope you do too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do. It's my favorite of all your work so far. I realize I say that about nearly everything you turn out (except for that friggin wheeler), but I mean it this time.

And I swear it's not only because that one comes home with me.

But I'm ridiculously glad that it does.

Thanks again, you talented ape.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sky came out pretty fucking sweet.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's seriously amazing. I'm slightly awe stuck.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous that Jenny gets to take it home, and I'm jealous that you have the talent and patience to pull off something like this. It makes me hate you a little. You know what I mean.
- S.C.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Lewis said...

That is a great painting. followed the link from Jenny's site. Do any more origionals?

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was looking at the sky when you still had the painting at home and my eyes went crazy and the blue started flashing. Very cool

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home