Thursday, September 28, 2006

Paintings

Lately I've started to hit my stride with painting regularly. I'm juggling a perfect amount of projects that keep me busy but they're not overwhelming.

In addition to a few random paintings that I've done for shits and giggles, I'm working on a handful of paintings that were commissioned by friends of mine.

I recently got into acrylics just to see what I could do with them. They dry like 80 times faster than oils so if done right they could increase productivity. Faster results, more paintings, more to get excited about and so on.

I check craigslist every day for old fancy frames for cheap. I snagged a couple a few weeks ago and these paintings resulted.



Physeter Hayes. He was named for his huge frontal lobe.



LIbelulla Hayes. Named for her wings. Feel free to google either first name.



I was asked by a friend of mine to do a painting of a lighthouse for his upcoming wedding in October. He said he'll talk price with me later, but unbeknownst to him I'm just going to give them the painting as a wedding gift.

I'm nearly done with an album cover for a Boston metal band that disbanded years ago but is releasing some new material soon on Willowtip Records. Their guitar player approached me last month after the guy that was supposed to paint their cover bailed on him. Check them out here... Year of Our Lord

Here a quick shot of the lighthouse and Year of Our Lord album cover paintings side by side on the wall.



Months and months ago Jenny asked me to do a painting for her. She also gave me no subject or guidelines or anything. She just payed for a 4' by 2' canvas and that's it. I painted the thing red and started getting sketches together on photoshop for it last night. I sent her the rough draft file and she was ecstatic about the idea so I started sketching out the dark lines last night in the wee hours. Here's what I have so far.




UPDATE:

I worked a bit more on it and now I have to leave for work, unfortunately. So here it is... phase II.



So there you have it. These are some of the things I have going on in late September. If anyone's interested in having a painting made for them email me....

hooker @ randomactsofviolence dot com

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in love. I can't wait to see it in person. I can't wait until it's mine.

Thank you.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

thanks a lot.

and jenny it should be sooner than i originally thought. went from 0-60 pretty quick on this one for some reason.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

wow! those really are fantastic. and i love the names for the first two. libellule is french for dragonfly!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and jenny it should be sooner than i originally thought. went from 0-60 pretty quick on this one for some reason."

it's because my awesomeness inspired you. clearly.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

they are just for shits and giggles. i'd sell them for the right price though.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really love the ones in the antique-looking frames. As soon as I find myself a job and have some income, I would love to give you a picture of Tony and have you do that paint his portrait.
He just retired from his job. Seems appropriate at this point in his life to have his portrait hanging on the wall.
Your talent is awesome.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

yeah that sounds good. distinguished tony sitting in a wingback chair smoking a pipe.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha - that's not exactly what I was thinking... how about a picture of him I took in Colorado- he's wearing a cowboy hat pulled down over his eyes, very serious expression, kind of scary.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

sure. i'll be waiting to hear from you. that'd be cool to do.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

For how much generally do you seel your work?

I love it all.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home