Thursday, March 29, 2007

Brux and floss

I always carry stress in my jaw. Any time I'm doing any exercise I curl my tongue into a U and hold it there tensely. I "play drums" on my teeth, clacking to a beat in my head. I tense up when I type for long stretches at work. I try to correct all of these as I notice them but the habits always sneak back.

I was alerted recently that I grind my teeth in my sleep. I've only heard this noise a few times. The first time I heard it I had no idea what it was. I was amazed to find that the human head could produce such a terrible noise.

Years ago when I was around 12 I'd have vivid dreams where my jaw ached and I held a strained underbite for long intervals. Then I'd wake up and my jaw and teeth would be killing me.

All of this freaks me out and since I'm 26 and have only maintenance to worry about teeth-wise, I decided to buy a mouth guard for when I sleep.



I sleep easier knowing I'm not going to wake up with a mouthful of teeth dust.

Tommorow, with any luck I'll be able to throw a photo of a new painting in progress for the upcoming April 13th show at the Red Dot gallery in Dorchester. With that I'm going to get to work on that badboy.



www.hookermedia.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY FUCKING LOLLERSKATES.

1:41 PM  
Blogger banjeroo said...

Bruxism is where it's at. Hey! Now you can start using Polident to soak your mouth guard during the day. Fresh as a minty daisy by bedtime.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

Yeah I probably should do that. I usually forget to rinse it and when I pop it in before turning out the light it tastes like I took a koi out of a pond and swiped my tongue across it's body.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EW you don't wash it?


Although I don't know why that surprises me. You don't wash the rest of yourself regularly either. I'm not really sure why I let you near me.

SPAGHETTI KID.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Oooh. my hubby sleeps with one of those too.
sadly, we're on nightguard #2, as he chewed a hole through the 1st one, and then it was discarded by the cleaning staff of a hotel when we were in Utah.
She probably picked it up & said, "WTF is THIS?...Looks like trash to ME!"

...good times....

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home